Date

Cancelled Event: DIF - Glossary Project - Monday, 3 February 2020 #cal-cancelled

dif-apac-asean@DIF.groups.io Calendar <dif-apac-asean@...>

Cancelled: DIF - Glossary Project

This event has been cancelled.

When:
Monday, 3 February 2020
2:00pm to 3:00pm
(UTC-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/238647400

Agenda & Meeting minutes: here

Sign Up formhere

Mailing List: here

Glossary Project: The goal of this project is to facilitate the emergence of contextualized vocabulary that is widely accepted across the decentralized identity community/industry. Together we will be working across the whole range of projects and efforts to understand what language is currently being used and to invite understanding and support convergence on some core definitions. We will do this in an open and transparent manner that is as inclusive as possible. We are not (re)creating a comprehensive taxonomy but rather are focusing on a few key terms that are especially critical for wider adoption.

Glossary Project is a DIF Open Group, is an industry initiative hosted by the Decentralized Identity Foundation in a. The work carried out under this group is a collaboration between parties in the wider identity ecosystem to reduce the friction between naming

Welcome to DIF's APAC/ASEAN

Eric Welton (Korsimoro)

Dear Members,

Thank you for joining DIF's APAC/ASEAN mailing list and for your interest in decentralized identities.

We intend to use this list to share ideas, discuss questions, and bring awareness about recent or upcoming major breakthroughs.  This list is completely open and will stay this way to accommodate the interests of the broader community.

Please start sharing your questions, links, topics and what is your interest about the decentralized identity stack. We will use some of these topics to discuss during the calls making it easier to understand and meet the interest of everyone. To make this list useful we would like to ask you to follow these simple tips:
•  Groups.io provides our mailing list with a Wiki, a Calendar, a Threaded Discussion, Polls, and even a Simple Database.
•  Email content is organized as a Threaded Discussion.  Please send an email to dif-apac-asean@DIF.groups.io and ask any questions you might have - the email Subject will form the topic.
•  To create a new topic, use a new Subject, to respond to a topic just hit reply and the message will be Threaded and make it easier for everyone to follow.

If you have suggestions for the moderators send an email to: dif-apac-asean+owner@DIF.groups.io.

The next meeting is scheduled for Feb 27th, 2:00 p.m. ICT and will include a summary of the Jan 29-31st W3C DID Working Group meeting in Amsterdam.

Welcome aboard!

    Eric Welton

Interoperability of DID blockchains with other blockchain platforms

Interoperability of DID blockchains with other blockchain platforms running decentralized applications which are in need to consume (get, verify, may be generate) verifiable credentials and DDOs.

Secure Identity wallet development

A joint effort would be helpful to gather alternative tools and technologies in order to develop secure and user friendly identity wallets.
For example,
  • TEE, HSM products and standards, their shortcomings for identity operations.
  • Biometric authentication technologies and multiparty computing components taht can be used for wallet recovery.

Survey on existing wallet products and their capabilities related to identity management.

Adopting National Identity Card Management Systems with DID Systems

Discussing the future of national identity card management systems (NICMS) in the DID era.

Transformations or co-depolyment of existing NICMSs that most of them are providing some cryptographic authentication capabilities.
Or developing usage scenarios for a transition phase in order to replace them.

Re: Adopting National Identity Card Management Systems with DID Systems

Eric Welton (Korsimoro)

Taner Durson,

Thank you for the fantastic start.

This topic is near and dear to my heart.  In EU there is active effort to explore DID (W3C DID) and eIDAS integration - I believe we have some members of this mailing list who might be able to comment on eIDAS efforts?

Ultimately I think it comes down to relating credentials on different trust infrastructures using the public-key registration as the point of contact.  If the same public key is registered in two systems, that provides a very strong link between the subjects - whether they are individuals or institutions.  If a document can be signed in two contexts, using the same private-key, then there is a strong justification to "combining" or "linking" those records - assuming appropriate consent-receipt management practices are in play.

I would love to hear more about the specific use case you have in mind - i think that many of us are faced with similar use-cases.

Thank you again for the great start!

best,

    -e

On 2/5/20 6:08 PM, Taner Dursun wrote:
Discussing the future of national identity card management systems (NICMS) in the DID era.

Transformations or co-depolyment of existing NICMSs that most of them are providing some cryptographic authentication capabilities.
Or developing usage scenarios for a transition phase in order to replace them.

SSIMeetup DID Reports

Eric Welton (Korsimoro)

Hello all,

SSIMeetup.org just announced two webinars about DIDs:

https://ssimeetup.org/decentralized-identifiers-dids-fundamentals-identitybook-info-drummond-reed-markus-sabadello-webinar-46/

https://ssimeetup.org/did-report-2-2nd-official-w3c-did-working-group-meeting-netherlands-drummond-reed-markus-sabadello-webinar-45/

Webinar 45 is about the W3C DID Working Group Face-to-Face meeting just
held in the Netherleands on Jan 29th - 31st.

Webinar 46 describes information in a forthcoming book by two of the
pioneers in DID technology.

best,

    -e

Re: Secure Identity wallet development

Eric Welton (Korsimoro)

Taner,

TEE came up a bunch in the recent W3C DID working group meetings.  I am very interested in hearing more about how TEE relates to your core use cases.

Biometrics are another key area - I've done some biometrics and I'm always struck with the problem of registry (e.g. AFIS) vs. confirmation - the 1:N vs. the 1:1 case.  I think that the 1:N case is unavoidable, it is being built whether we like it or not.  But national registries should focus on the 1:1 only, and push away from 1:N capabilities.

When it comes to key-recovery.... this is an issue that spans economic boundaries.  I am working with a global physician community on a solution - now, you can imagine that physicians should be able to handle "key-management".  I also work with illiterate and uneducated migrant farmers - and while they are absolute geniuses in some classes of problems, when it comes to the abstractions of key-management they look at me like I am completely nuts.

Biometrics against a central registry has been offered, many times, as a solution - but extreme care must be taken w/ that sort of 1:N matching, because it can so easily be abused.  Biometrics as a format for wallet recovery - e.g. Physicians w/ Fingerprints is an ideal - but how to balance the 1:1 and 1:N characteristics of biometrics remains, to me at least, a mystery.

Perhaps, for the next APAC/ASEAN call we can find a few participants willing to share insight and experience?

best,

    -e

On 2/5/20 6:02 PM, Taner Dursun wrote:
A joint effort would be helpful to gather alternative tools and technologies in order to develop secure and user friendly identity wallets.
For example,
  • TEE, HSM products and standards, their shortcomings for identity operations.
  • Biometric authentication technologies and multiparty computing components taht can be used for wallet recovery.

Survey on existing wallet products and their capabilities related to identity management.

Re: Secure Identity wallet development

Hi Eric,
We plan to involve TEE based wallets in order to store user's core key materials and to perform cryptographic operations for interactions with Identity Providers and Verifiers.
Of course TEE alone could not satisfy all the requirements. Therefore, integrating it with a security module which is embedded in a uSDCard is the other issue we are dealing :)

We have also encountered the problems what you mentioned about biometrics during our National Identity Card project. For Decentralized identity wallets,  we are just starting to adopt. I'd be glad to share new experiences.

Re: Secure Identity wallet development

Eric Welton (Korsimoro)

One of the concerns voiced at the AMS F2F for W3C DIDs was the connection with TEEs.

I wonder if we might do well to provide a short introduction to TEEs - and associated regulatory actors - in our next call?

I was chatting w/ BCGov re: their concerns about the same - how do you connect pillars of authority with a "bring your own ID" model.  Their solution is to invite participants to bring a DID and then to issue VCs linking the core authority with the citizen.  That might work in some cases, but I do not think it is a global model.

On the other hand, the "Self-Certifying" properties of DIDs can be shared across boundaries - that SC capability seems important.  The ability to link an identifier directly to a statement of trust control - of Key-registration and announcement - that seems essential.

May I ask for more information about the "uSDCard"?

best,

    -e

On 2/7/20 10:35 PM, Taner Dursun wrote:
Hi Eric,
We plan to involve TEE based wallets in order to store user's core key materials and to perform cryptographic operations for interactions with Identity Providers and Verifiers.
Of course TEE alone could not satisfy all the requirements. Therefore, integrating it with a security module which is embedded in a uSDCard is the other issue we are dealing :)

We have also encountered the problems what you mentioned about biometrics during our National Identity Card project. For Decentralized identity wallets,  we are just starting to adopt. I'd be glad to share new experiences.

Re: Adopting National Identity Card Management Systems with DID Systems

Balázs Némethi

Regarding the deployment of DIDs in today's word this topic will often come up.
Taking into consideration that the already existing and owned card could provide a layer of authentication on top of other methods assigned to the DID of choice, it could boost the trust level of certain transactions involving DIDs.

If the card system is already in place it is better to keep it as it is and add capabilities to the DID based next gen service by utilizing the existing card, however, if the two system are deployed at the same time we can, potentially, create a subset of personal data used on the card as a "public" ID that can be used against services without the need for additional consent from user perspective using verifiable credentials. -

but the more use-cases we hear the better this answer can get

--
Balázs Némethi
@Taqanu

DIF AA - regional call reminder

Balázs Némethi

Dear all,

The second APAC-ASEAN decentralized identity call is coming up this Thursday!
Sign up for the calendar invite using this LINK

The current agenda for the call can be found here: Agenda
- if you have additional agenda items, let me or Eric know about it

In case you have not yet signed up for the mailing list you can do over here: Mailing List

best regards,
--

Balázs Némethi
Operations @ DIF

Exciting Events

Eric Welton (Korsimoro)

Hello all,

I was just reviewing the upcoming Kuppinger Cole European Identity & Cloud Conference 2020 in May

Here are links to the two "SSI" tracks:

- https://www.kuppingercole.com/tracks/729

- https://www.kuppingercole.com/tracks/734

Several of our members will be speaking!  Perhaps they can give us a recap of their talks in our May call.

If you know of a relevant event in the region, please respond to this topic!

best,

    -e

Study group in Kansai (Japan)

martin@...

Hello Everyone,

Martin Heidegger from consento.org here. I am struggling with getting a good overview of the did specification and goals
and would like to dedicate some time to study it. It makes more sense to me to study together, so I wonder if other
members in the Kansai/Japan area are interested in joining up with me. We have a nice office in the Okayama (Kobe)
area that can be used for these purposes, but other locations are good as well.

yours
Martin Heidegger

Re: Study group in Kansai (Japan)

Eric Welton (Korsimoro)

If you get a venue and some participants together, I would be happy to help arrange some material and/or connect you with some DID-experts nearby.

best,

    -e

On 2/27/20 3:07 PM, martin@... wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Martin Heidegger from consento.org here. I am struggling with getting a good overview of the did specification and goals
and would like to dedicate some time to study it. It makes more sense to me to study together, so I wonder if other
members in the Kansai/Japan area are interested in joining up with me. We have a nice office in the Okayama (Kobe)
area that can be used for these purposes, but other locations are good as well.

yours
Martin Heidegger

Re: Study group in Kansai (Japan)

Naohiro Fujie

Hi Martin,

Im Naohiro from OpenID Foundation Japan and based on Osaka and it would be nice to have a chance to study DID related topics together.

Regards,

Naohiro

2020年2月27日(木) 17:07 <martin@...>:

Hello Everyone,

Martin Heidegger from consento.org here. I am struggling with getting a good overview of the did specification and goals
and would like to dedicate some time to study it. It makes more sense to me to study together, so I wonder if other
members in the Kansai/Japan area are interested in joining up with me. We have a nice office in the Okayama (Kobe)
area that can be used for these purposes, but other locations are good as well.

yours
Martin Heidegger

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [dif-apac-asean] Study group in Kansai (Japan)

Kristina Yasuda

Hi, Im in as well. Let me create a separate thread so not to spam everyone. Cheers,

Kristina

My working hours may not be your working hours. Please do not feel obligated to reply outside of your normal work schedule.

2020227() 17:07 <martin@...>:

Hello Everyone,

Martin Heidegger from consento.org here. I am struggling with getting a good overview of the did specification and goals
and would like to dedicate some time to study it. It makes more sense to me to study together, so I wonder if other
members in the Kansai/Japan area are interested in joining up with me. We have a nice office in the Okayama (Kobe)
area that can be used for these purposes, but other locations are good as well.

yours
Martin Heidegger

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [dif-apac-asean] Study group in Kansai (Japan)

Naohiro Fujie

Great. Let's start talking in the thread.

2020227() 17:07 <martin@...>:

Hello Everyone,

Martin Heidegger from consento.org here. I am struggling with getting a good overview of the did specification and goals
and would like to dedicate some time to study it. It makes more sense to me to study together, so I wonder if other
members in the Kansai/Japan area are interested in joining up with me. We have a nice office in the Okayama (Kobe)
area that can be used for these purposes, but other locations are good as well.

yours
Martin Heidegger

OpenID Connect Interest

Eric Welton (Korsimoro)

Is anyone interested in connecting DID & VC-based identity tech with OpenID?

DIF has an active project : https://identity.foundation/did-siop/

If folks are interested in this topic, I would like to discuss organizing some regional coding efforts to take a reference implementation across the finish line.

best,

    -e

Re: OpenID Connect Interest

Naohiro Fujie

Of course YES. please count me in.

Naohiro

2020年2月27日(木) 18:56 Eric Welton (Korsimoro) <eric@...>:

Is anyone interested in connecting DID & VC-based identity tech with OpenID?

DIF has an active project : https://identity.foundation/did-siop/

If folks are interested in this topic, I would like to discuss
organizing some regional coding efforts to take a reference
implementation across the finish line.

best,

     -e

1 - 20 of 83