Re: Interop meeting - today

Adrian Gropper

A "Top Down" way to structure the work of the interoperability WG, complementing the ethical imperative, would be to collect the top 10 issues from today's hearings on Google, Amazon, Facebook, and Apple. It would be relatively straightforward to go through this one NYTimes article https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/07/29/technology/tech-ceos-hearing-testimony and pick out the top 10 issues raised that touch on decentralized identitifiers and verifiable credentials. Once we have those 10, the exercise would have us analyze how interoperability might mitigate those concerns and what the overlap is with DID and VC.

Top Down would be a contrast to the current Bottom Up approach where different groups like DIF and ToIP organize to tackle a dozen or more subsidiary standards like DIDcomm and SDS.

- Adrian

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 3:11 PM orie <orie@...> wrote:
Thanks Agrian, that's very helpful framing.

Regarding the position, the decision by Mike Jones / Daniel Buchner and Microsoft to support a "Pure JSON" data model, by deleting `@context` and destroying interoperability with JSON-LD is clear example of an attempt to create vendor lock in, and reduce choices, and destroy interoperability for political reasons.

I suggest we all be vigilant to the implications of decisions like that, and I would argue that the W3C DID WG should remove the "Pure JSON" data model from consideration, since there are no implementations, and it can be distinguished from JSON-LD, by the lack of an `@context`.... they literally just delete the property to break compatibility.

I'm eager to have this WG formalized so we can start to tackle the tough problems related to interoperability in ongoing standards work, including Open ID Foundations current lack of support for JSON-LD credentials  (including formats used by DIF Members like Transmute and Mattr) and the W3C DID WG JSON and CBOR representations which are entirely dependent on centralized registries, and which break compatibility for political reasons.

If we can't have conversations like this, in this WG, I would like to know sooner, rather than later :)

OS

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:20 AM Adrian Gropper <agropper@...> wrote:
I'm a fan of the ethics perspective on interoperability as articulated by Heinz von Foerster: http://www.cybsoc.org/heinz.htm

The Ethical Imperative! "Act always so as to increase the number of choices.". A preferred form is "I always act so as to increase the number of choices."†

In our context, I would extend this to *meaningful* choices. That means individuals and other adopters of SSI should not be locked-in either for lack of standards or for standards that do not promote real-world competition and choice at a practical level. The DHS SVIP program has set a good example so far. I hope we can extend von Foerster's ethics approach more broadly.

- Adrian

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 11:08 AM Taylor Kendal <taylor@...> wrote:
As follow-on to the “define interop” discussion.

Is it possible/reasonable to land on a common denominator (highest level possible) which could broaden/narrow based on groups represented?

The ability of a system to work with or use the component parts of another system.

Or a bit more specific:

The ability for different systems, devices or applications to connect, in a coordinated manner, within and across organizational boundaries to access, exchange and cooperatively use data amongst stakeholders.

Then the inevitable moving targets fall under various sub-domains (foundational, structural, semantic, organizational, etc.)

Also, as far as “outputs,” I think there’s intangible value in simply having a neutral venue for building/sharing context.
*Recommended practice: join DIF interop wg :)

Food for thought...

Taylor Kendal, CPO